I attempted to make cottage pie for supper recently. I had no idea how to make it and I didn’t really want to learn because I like the way my mom makes it. I like to have certain dishes that I only eat if it’s made at a restaurant or if my mom or someone I know makes an awesome version of it. I don’t want to be disappointed when it’s different when I make it. I Googled a recipe but forgot to print it before leaving work so I kind of made the whole thing up while I cooked. I vaguely remembered the ingredients, had to improvise with what we had in the cupboard and kind of remembered something from watching my mom make it. I must say it came out pretty good. OM NOM NOM
- 1 x onion
- 1 x jar of tomato and herb pasta sauce (we never had tinned tomatoes)
- 1 x packet of mince
- a dash of Worcestershire sauce (I only added this because my mom does)
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- a pinch of yellow mustard seeds
- handful of fresh basil
- handful of fresh oregano
- a dash of cinnamon (this is to make the tomato sauce less acidic)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mashed potato or cauli mash
What to do
- Chop up the onion and fry with chilli flakes, yellow mustard seeds, basil and oregano. I crushed the chilli and mustard together first.
- Add mince and brown
- Add tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce,cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Fry the mushrooms and add to cooked mince mixture once brown.
- Pour mince into ovenproof dish.
- Add mashed potato or cauli mash,( if you’re banting) to thetop of the mixture and sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake at 180C for about 20 minutes.
It wasn’t as good as my moms cottage pie, but I surprised myself with how good it turned out.