In the world

Welcome Baby Noah

On Friday, 6 October 2017 baby Noah made his appearance into the world. God was just so faithful in how He was present and in control of everything during the birth.

The final week before Noah’s birth was the hardest and longest – I literally felt like he had tripled in size since the week before. I felt SO heavy and was more than ready for our little boy to come out and meet us. That Thursday afternoon I developed quite a bad headache – I assumed it was the start of a migraine which is normal for me to get at the start of spring. I had forgotten how the gynae had told me that if you get a really bad headache you have to come in to have your blood pressure checked. I also thought that it wouldn’t be necessary to go all the way to hospital when we were seeing our gynae the next day for our check-up.

When I woke up on Friday morning my headache was still there. This was when I started to worry a little bit. I then thought that would mention the headache to the doctor when I saw her at 11am. Before the appointment I popped into Blue Route mall to buy one more cute outfit for our boy and to pick some samples up that had arrived at the post office for me.

When we walked into the doctor’s room for our check-up I said to Dr Naudé that Noah needed to come out today. She laughed and said, “let’s go and have a look at him”. She asked me all the usual questions of how I’m feeling – huge and I told her about my headache. She then asked about Noah’s movements. I then realised that they had decreases in frequency. This was also a warning sign. I just assumed the movements were less because he was so big and it was normal.

After taking my blood pressure a couple of times and doing some measurements during the scan she turned to David and I and said; “You’re going to meet your baby today, he needs to come out now.” As the news sunk in I got super overwhelmed by the news – it was exciting and scary all at the same time. I was sent off to the maternity ward with David before he was sent to the admissions desk to have me admitted into hospital. Dr Naudé was amazing during the whole process. We were so overwhelmed and not taking in much information. She guided us and explained everything that we needed to do and where to go and explained what was going to happen.

I was admitted into the maternity ward and a few more tests were run. It was discovered that I had developed preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome, (HELLP — which stands for hemolysis (the destruction of red blood cells), elevated liver enzymes and low platelet count). Platelets were ordered for me for the Cesarean, and after a lot of waiting and medication given to me to bring my blood pressure down we eventually went into the theatre to meet our little boy.

Noah Mark Bodmer arrived at 8:38pm, weighing 3.7kg and measuring 53cm long and he was perfect.

Welcome baby Noah

Meeting our little boy for the first time was the best experience in the whole world. I did not know it was possible to love someone as much I love this little boy. I am really blessed that God has chosen David and I to be his parents.

Photo credit goes to my amazing friend Chaana Ashworth.



Jesus follower. Wife. Daughter. Friend. Princess. Adventure seeker. Ice-cream lover.

You may also like...